High School Tutors are in a unique situation where they can help students, usually on a one on one basis. Sometimes this can be done in individual lessons or in small groups; it’s most commonly done outside the classroom and normal school hours. Some High School Tutors on the Gold Cost work with tutoring companies while others prefer to work on their own. Regardless which type of tutor you require they are very similar and try to provide you with strategies that will help you succeed with your studies and excel in school.
One of the most important things with any tutor is their ability to get on well and inspire their students.
Tutor Education and Training
The exact educational and training requirement that a tutor needs to possess will depend on the subjects they are helping you with. For academic subjects it is normal for them to hold a teaching degree and have some practical experience in teaching in the subjects you require.
One of the main requirements is having a passion for helping student learn and the knowledge to help them discover the best ways to learn things they are having difficulties with
- A tutor needs to be patient and able to help your student understand what you’re trying to teach them
- Tutors need a positive attitude and be able to motivate their students even when they fail to understand and become frustrated
- Being a good communicator and helping students review and solve problems is important
- Showing how to develop the best study skills and ways to organise their study techniques so they can improve academic performances
- Developing self-discipline and serving as a good role model
Most High School Tutors on the Gold Coast have a variety of students after school each day. The frequency of each lesson and its duration is largely dependent on the needs and abilities of the individual students. Many students find that they need ample time to relax after a day at school so are better if they take their lessons during the weekend. Other students are eager to best suited to having a tutor each day to help them better understand the day’s lessons at school.
It’s really a matter of finding the right tutor and matching them with the needs of the students
How to find the right Tutor that’s suitable for you?
There are a lot of High School Tutors on the Gold Coast to choose from so it can be very difficult to choose the right one for you or your child. The most important thing is that they are compatible, so when choosing it’s important that the tutor and student meet before making a commitment. One of the best places to begin your search is by talking with your child’s teachers and other parents.
Some of the things to look for in a High School Tutor:
- Find out how long they have been teaching and also how long and how many students they have helped tutor
- Are they independent or do they work through an agency?
- Are they associated with groups such as the Australian Tutoring Association
- Can they give references and the names and contact details of some of the parents of the students they have tutored?
- If they are from a tutoring service are they online with them or have they been interviewed face to face and properly scrutinized
- Can they show that they are trained and knowledgeable about the subject matter you need to learn?
- Will they visit you tutor your child at home or do you need to go to them, if so can you visit them first?
- Are they Qualified to tutor your children?
Does your child need extra tuition?
The best way to find out if your child really needs extra tuition or an after school High School Tutor is to talk with your child’s teacher or maybe the school child guidance officer as they are in the best position to know.
If you decide to engage a High School Tutor on the Gold Coast then it’s important to choose carefully and wisely. The person who can easily talk with your child and get a positive response is often a better choice than someone who is more qualified.
When you talk with your child’s school or teachers, ask them:
- If they are aware of any learning difficulties your child may have and what they recommend should be done to improve the situation?
- Do they consider that your child may have difficulties in different areas or just one or two subjects?
- Does the school offer a solution or can they advise you on the best way to proceed?
School guidance officer’s main role is to help identify potential problems and learning barriers that could be affecting a student’s abilities to learn and to provide help and support. So make an appointment if you feel your child may need their support.